Formation of the Sutton Civic Society
The Society was formed on 27 September 2017 at the Robin Hood Pub on West Street, Sutton.
Following the demise in 2016 of the Sutton and Cheam Civic Society, and in view of the enormous pressures on the town Sutton by developers and the rate at which historic buildings and heritage are being demolished, we established a new Civic Society for the town of Sutton and its environs. It was incorporated on 7 March 2018.
Our constitution sets out the aims of the Society:
- the maintenance, improvement or provision of public amenities in the town of Sutton and its environs;
- the preservation of buildings or sites of historic or architectural importance in the town of Sutton and its environs;
- encouragement of high standards of planning, architecture and civic amenities in the town of Sutton and its environs;
- the protection or conservation of the environment in the town of Sutton and its environs;
- the promotion of public safety and prevention of crime in the town of Sutton and its environs;
- to pursue these ends by means of participation in public consultations and other public forums, meetings, exhibitions, lectures, publications, other forms of publicity and promotion of schemes of a charitable nature;
- the advancement and enhancement of the social and physical wellbeing of those who live or work in and/or visit the town of Sutton and its environs;
- the development amongst the public in the town of Sutton and its environs of a sense of community and civic pride in Sutton as a town where they live and/or work and/or have an interest;
- the development of the same sense of community and civic pride amongst any other locally-active businesses or organisations who share the Society’s interests in the well-being of the town of Sutton and its environs;
- the stimulation of public interest in and care for the beauty, amenity, history and character of the town of Sutton and its environs.
We aim to promote civic pride and to inspire progressive improvement in the quality of life in the town of Sutton and its environs for its inhabitants and its visitors.
We are a member of the London Forum of Civic and Amenity Societies. In due course, the Society aims to become a member of Civic Voice, the national charity for the civic movement in England, and to become a registered charity.
Our committee comprises:
Chair: Professor (Emeritus) Clive Orton
Vice-Chair: Phil Robinson
Treasurer: Alison Robinson
Events officer: Kerrie Peek
Secretary: Ed John